Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sketch layouts, and Bra Pimping

Realized I had not posted that promised sketch layout ...

I used one of Beggahuna's sketches for the Oct 1st Sketch Challenge at AMR. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Beggahuna's sketches, and I can't wait until she starts posting some new ones {she has been taking a break this summer}.


The sketch called for a 4x6 photo and 3 smaller photos. I wanted to use some of the photos from Jason's Mason City concert, because I have several series of photos, and they are from far enough away that they are pretty small. And I think I was channeling my Inner Susan for this layout, because I think the layering came out SO well! All the papers are from DCWV. Flowers are Heidi Grace and Bazzill Basics {the large pink one}. The crown pieces are actually iron-ons that I picked up at WM on cleareance. Gems, of course, are Prima. Butterflies are {I think} KI Memories - again, picked up on clearance. Alpha rubons are Making Memories. I hand stitched the stitching on the black strip - I thought more would show, but the page kept asking for more flowers. I didn't have shaped paper, so I used one of my Clear Scraps XL shapes to trace the shape on the star paper.



The other day, I did another Jason layout, with pictures from the Carlinville concert.  This layout was made using Susan's sketch for the 10/1 Daily challenge on Serendipity.   I really like Susan's sketches {as well as her fabulous layouts!} and I am glad to see that she is starting a Saturday sketch challenge on her blog. Check out her work here: Creatively Savvy


 I chose the pictures I did, because I wanted to use the really cool alligator-ish paper I found in the specialty paper section at Hobby Lobby. I knew as soon as I saw it which pictures I would use it with. Again, I didn't have it pre-cut in the right shape, so I used an XL shape as a template. Which made it a little bigger than the sketch, but it worked out. The center circle was made by tracing around one of my mom's little apple plates.
The blue cardstock, which is a little hard to see, was crumpled and then sanded - it looks like a worn pair of jeans, and almost exactly matches Jason's jeans in the photos. The rest of the papers are all DCWV, as are the chipboard embellies {from the Rock Star line}.


 I stamped the journaling on precut strips, then snipped them to fit the space I had, inked and edge distressed them. For emphasis I put several parts of the journaling up on popdots {"up front and center", "literally", "(And I did.)"}. The smaller boot picture is also up on pop dots. Title letters are thickers. Gems are Primas and some flourishes from the line at WM.



This was a fun layout to make. I loved how close we were at the concert, and these pictures were taken to show that. {plus, I kinda have a thing for cowboy boots LOL}

Have a couple of more layouts in the works - don't worry, they won't all be JMC layouts LOL. Working on one with the trio of pictures from Nicole's challenge, and will be working on the numerous old Halloween photos I have. {Halloween layouts earn bonus points this month for the Team Challenge on Serendipity} Plus I have several atc swaps I need to get done - themes include fruits, circles, Twilight, Pink (a breast cancer awareness swap}, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and a friendship swap sponsored by Hero Arts (which means I'd better go through my stamps and find one that's made by them!}

And speaking of breast cancer awareness, don't forget the Pimp My Bra crop at Serendipity Oct 16-19 and the Scrap Pink Mini Crop at Scrap Attack Oct 24-25!

Twisted Cherry has designed some fabulous albums for the Pimp My Bra crop - you can get them in the Serendipity store!

And the best part about these albums?? Kristen is going to donate 50% of the proceeds of albums sold through Oct 31st to the National Breast Cancer Association!

Hope to see you at the crops!

2 comments:

Lisa T. Howard said...

Love, love, love this post! Love those sketches! Love your take on them! Love those mini bras!!! Fun post!

theelfqueen said...

Loving those sketch pages, really fantastic!