Monday, October 26, 2009

Pumpkin carving

Today {ok, yesterday LOL} the kids and I carved pumpkins.

My daughter, though - I don't know what has gotten into her. She has become a squeamish little diva.. {insert rolling eyes here} and wouldn't even touch the pumpkin guts because they were gross. So the boy and I had to have fun with that...


LOL I love that picture.. I can't wait to scrap it!

Anyway, I ended up carving her pumpkin, while she directed the carving the whole time. The boy pretty much did his own, and it turned out awesome. Here are their pumpkins with lights on and lights off.




The cat was done using a pattern from a book that came with the pumpkin tools we bought several years ago. Which gave me the idea for my pumpkin... So I got on my computer, messed around with an image in Irfanview, and got started.

This is the before shot {which I forgot to take BEFORE drawing the line for the top}


Taped down my image and poked the holes around the outline like the directions for the cat said... {which I thought looked pretty cool in itself!}


Knew I wouldn't be able to carve all the way through, or I would lose the center pieces in the flourish.. so this is what I ended up with {minus the top}. {In case you were wondering, I mostly used a paring knife and a potato peeler}



And here it is lit up {couldn't find my tripod, so the photo is a little blurry, and I have to carve an extra air hole before trying again, but here it is anyway...}. My mom didn't think it would show very well, but it turned out better than she thought. My daughter, loving Jason almost as much as I do LOL, thought it was "Pretty darned cool, Mom!"



I think it's pretty darn cool too.

4 comments:

Jingle said...

Wow! Those are all seriously impressive! Great work! Did he actually eat any of the guts? Just wondering! LOL!

Jennie said...

Thanks for the inspiration, I totally need to get mine carved tonight. :-)

Unknown said...

That is a fantastic photo of your DS, love it!

djp said...

super cool pumpkins! i gave you an award.....
slicesoflifescrapbooking.blogspot.com